Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Bet You Thought I'd Forgot

Did you really think I'd leave y'all high and dry?

For those of you interested in making the Long Hill Chapel Easter/Christmas casserole for this Christmas or any occasion, here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

9 eggs
12 pieces of bread
2 boxes of sausage (20 links)
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 10 oz bar of cheese (I like to use the Vermont cheddar cheese)
3 cups of milk (optional)
1 9 x 13 pan

Grease 9 x 13 pan lightly. Combine eggs
in a bowl. Add soup. Whisk together eggs and soup. If using milk, add it here. I think it makes the casserole soggy and tend to ignore it, but feel free. Set bowl aside. Slice bread into cubes and sprinkle throughout pan. Cook the sausage (I recommend the microwave for this) and cut into small pieces. The last few pans I've made, I switched to the lite sausage and it's reduced some of the overt and, to some, overwhelming richness of the dish, which I've liked. Up to you. Sprinkle sausage throughout pan.

Grate the bar of cheese. As noted above, I prefer the Vermont cheddar cheese. You can buy already grated cheese to expedite things, but that would be cheating and I would know and would have to revoke your privileges to this recipe. I'm just saying. Plus, the casserole won't be as good. Buck up, spend the time, and grate the cheese. It'll take you all of 6 1/2 minutes, really, and you'll be glad you did it.

Once grated, sprinkle cheese throughout pan. Make sure the sausage and cheese are as evenly distributed in the pan as possible. Carefully pour egg and soup (and milk) mixture throughout the pan as evenly as possible. Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in refrigerator overnight. When ready to eat, remove pan from fridge (obviously), remove foil, and cook in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or so.

Remove, serve, and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment