Thursday, May 15, 2008

Office Chic: Monkey Do

Alas, I have monkeys on my wall.

I wonder who first came up with using monkeys to illustrate the hear no evil, see no evil, say no evil mantra of good intentions. I guess it's the prevailing (and erroneous in my opinion) theory of evolution that makes us use cute simian avatars to personify human behaviors. Although any animal would suit for this purpose; I personally would enjoy a trifecta of cats with paws strategically placed for maximum prevention over eyes, ears, and mouths.

But I have monkeys.

This trio is appropriately the third installment on my perp wall. I have less affection for them than I do for the others, but let me be clear that this has nothing to do with their source. As I recall, my mother gave them to my sister and I each, possibly as a going-away-to-college thing. No doubt with the hope that they might instill some sense of decorum and/or restraint in her wayward daughter (that would be me again) but I have my own doubts as to their overall effectiveness. Still, they've been boxed over the years with other, more treasured chotckas, so somewhere along the way they had more intrinsic value than they do now. Who knows what they might rate in the future?

And yet, when I look at them, all I can think of is the Buffy episode where Oz is ruminating on a box of animal crackers wondering why the monkey is the only animal that gets clothes. "I mock you with my monkey pants" still makes me laugh.

And there's that stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

No evil to be seen/said/heard here.


No comments:

Post a Comment